Whether you need a quick breakfast on-the-go or a tasty snack for any time of the day, these easy homemade granola bars are a perfect choice. With simple ingredients and straightforward instructions, you’ll have a batch of delicious and granola bars ready to go. My kids love making these granola bars for a snack or family treat. So delicious and so easy!
Ingredients in Easy Homemade Granola Bars
Some of the important ingredients in Easy Homemade Granola Bars are:
Butter:I always use unsalted butter. I can regulate how much salt my recipe needs instead of not knowing how salty salted butter will make the filling.
Honey: Honey makes these granola bars chewy and sweet.
Brown Sugar: A little bit of brown sugar adds a depth of flavor and sweetness to the granola bars.
Oats: Quick oats are best for these granola bars. If you don’t have quick oats on hand, pulse the rolled oats in a blender a few times until broken down.
Rice Krispies: Rice krispies give the crunch that makes these easy granola bars so crispy and crunchy.
Mini Chocolate Chips: I love semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe. You can substitute nuts or dried fruit if desired.
Mini Marshmallows: My kids love mini marshmallows in these granola bars. Substitute dried fruit if desired.
Perfect Granola Bars for Kids to Make
I don’t know about you, but with the current coronavirus climate I am searching high and low for easy recipes for my kids to make while home for an extended period of time. I want something that is easy for older elementary kids to do mostly on their own, with minimal supervision from mom. These easy homemade granola bars are not only a great snack for kids who are around all day, but are also quick to make, easy for kids to follow the recipe and clean up.
This recipe has been around our house for awhile, though I haven’t made them much recently. With kids home full-time right now, I pulled it out of my memory archives and thought it would be a great one to share with you right now. If your kids are begging to make something yummy and you want something quick, easy and delicious…check, check, check! These are for you! My fifth grader made these independently and her brothers have helped gobble them up. They freeze well, store well in an airtight container and will hopefully last us more than twenty-four hours. I can see these becoming a staple in our house. I hope you enjoy!
Looking for more Kid-Friendly Recipe Ideas?
Easy Homemade Granola Bars
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 cups quick cook oats see recipe note
- 1 1/2 cups rice krispies any puffed rice cereal works
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Coat a 9 by 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together oats, rice krispies, chocolate chips and marshmallows in a large bowl.
- On the stove heat the butter, honey and brown sugar. Once the mixture is completely melted and beginning to bubble take it off the heat and stir in the vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Pour sugar mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine. Top with mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Press into 9 by 13 pan and let cool completely, 1-2 hours. If you can’t wait that long, put the pan in the freezer for 20 minutes to help the bars harden. Cut into pieces and enjoy!