My sisters and I all had unconventional weddings. None of us had big fancy wedding receptions or big groups of people in attendance. Instead, we chose small ceremonies surrounded by family and a few close friends. Later we celebrated by inviting friends over for a backyard BBQ that was casual and fun for everyone. This allowed us to save some money (hubby and I traveled around Europe for our honeymoon instead of having a big wedding reception) and enjoy time with good friends to celebrate our marriage. My dad manned the grill, while my mom cut up fruit for salads and I was in charge of all the baked goodies. You better believe that these chocolate chip cookie bars were on the menu!
These cookie bars are a crowd pleaser
Chocolate chip cookie bars are quick and taste amazing. They are a major crowd pleaser and they couldn’t be easier to make. Using melted butter in this recipe means that these cookie bars can come together super fast. These cookies bake up beautifully in a 9 by 13 pan instead of dropping spoonfuls of cookie dough onto a baking sheet. They cut up nicely into smaller squares to serve for a crowd. I’ve also made these ahead of time and frozen them with great success.
Crispy Edges, Gooey Middle
Are you a fan of crispy edges? Or do you choose the bars in the middle of the pan? The gooey middles definitely went first at our latest family gathering, but that didn’t stop the whole pan from being devoured in about 30 minutes flat. These bars are the perfect amount of chewy, gooey and crispy. Basically they have something for everyone to enjoy.
Use a parchment sling for easy cleanup
Do yourself a favor and please use a parchment sling for these bars. Non-stick parchment paper makes these bars so easy to lift out of your baking pan and cut into beautiful pieces. It also makes clean-up a breeze and while I wouldn’t fault anyone for eating these out of a pan with a fork (or fingers), parchment paper makes these bars so much easier to handle.
If you’re anything like me with my sweet tooth, you’ve got to try these gooey chocolate chip cookie bars. They are so delicious and so easy. The hardest part is waiting for the bars to cool!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Yield: One, 9 by 13 pan of cookie bars
Time: 10 minute mix, 25 minute bake
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips, semisweet are my favorite but you can use any chocolate chips here
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 9 by 13 pan, lining it with a parchment paper sling (check it out here).
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar. Use a fork (or a hand mixer) to mix the sugars and butter together.
- Add vanilla and eggs. Mix until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- To the center of the bowl add the salt and baking soda. Mix.
- Add the flour and mix until combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips. Spread evenly into the pan.
- Bake 22-25 minutes until crispy around the edges but still a little gooey in the middle. Let sit for 20 minutes in the pan before lifting out with the parchment paper. Cool before cutting into bars. Enjoy!
Please share this recipe if you enjoyed it! Post a photo and tag me @amybakesbread so I can see your bake 🙂